In this article you will learn how to prepare for GDPR in 6 easy steps. Let`s start by explaining in short what is GDPR and when will it be required.
In order to try to make the world a better place, the EU Parliament decided to upgrade the principles laid out in the 1995 Data Protection Directive and reinforce the rights of individuals to control and protect their personal data.
GDPR is currently scheduled to be effective on May 25, 2018 and it’s applied to anyone who is doing business with EU residents.
Did you start to prepare for GDPR?
We want you to be prepared, so we created a checklist on how to prepare for GDPR in 6 easy steps.
1. Personal data review
- What personal data do you collect and store?
- Where is the data transferred to?
- Is the data secure and all access logged?
- Can you easily delete personal data, if requested?
2. Data Security review
- Do you think you need to upgrade your security?
- Set up a system to check for data security breaches and act with urgency.
3. Consent review
- Do you have consent to store and use the collected personal data?
- Was the consent clearly given, or assumed by something like terms and conditions?
- Can you present consent proof if requested?
4. Privacy notices review
5. External platforms
- Document the policy regarding data collection for all 3rd party apps you use and always know everything about how your data is handled.
6. User awareness
- Make sure that everybody that comes in contact with your stored personal data is aware of the processes in place.
Tip: Be transparent with how you store and manage your collected information.
Struggling with any of the above steps or simply want to validate your theory or debate strategies?
Book a meeting now and let’s get your business to prepare for GDPR. Time is flying by.